Child Care Health Consultants (CCHCs) are health professionals who know about child health, child development, and health and safety in child care settings. CCHCs and the child care staff work together to promote healthy and safe environments for young children.
CCHCs have expert information, resources, and referrals to offer. Through onsite and telephone consultation, health education and technical assistance CCHCs work with individual child care facilities to help create environments that best support the healthy growth and development of young children. CCHCs partner with child care providers to:
- Assess the health and safety needs and practices in the child care facility.
- Develop strategies for inclusion of children with special care needs.
- Establish and review health policies and procedures.
- Manage and prevent injuries and infectious diseases.
- Connect families with community health resources.
- Provide health education for staff members, families and children.